Friday, April 20, 2012

My Journey to become an IBCLC has begun...

For many years I've been interested in different aspects of social work and public health, especially as it relates to mothers and young children. I just love mamas and babies!!!

In the last year, I've become inspired to become an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). I have come to recognize the important role of lactation consultants through my work with young mothers, my own experiences as a new mother, and the challenges many friends have faced with breastfeeding. The reality check: for something so amazingly natural and wonderful, breastfeeding can be hardwork. Support, education, and advocacy from a lactation consultant and/or participation in a mother-to-mother support program can help mamas gain knowledge about breastfeeding and help to cultivate a wonderful, meaningful mama/baby relationship!



So I very recently made the decision to pursue my goal of becoming an IBCLC!!!

I just added some info about the certification process and my progress thus far. Check it on my Career Stuff  page and keep checking back for future updates on my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment